Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Free Updates DS708

8625 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: 2017-12-08 00:34:44

•   Level 7   
    (862) points
    SmogTech87
    2017-09-18 01:04:54
    Autel have enabled free updates for DS708.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2017-09-29 15:18:21 (Reply to:SmogTech87)

I am skeptical about that  I would only try it with a non working unit you have nothing to lose by trying. If you have an older DS708 that still works fine works and you go to update, at the very least you risk installation of  dumbing down software , or something  going very wrong , getting corrupted or disabling it (possibly to be in  Final Compliance with Ford Lawsuit)

•   Level 4   
    (119) points
    John Clark

2017-10-14 13:15:21 (Reply to:witsend)

I'm pretty happy.  Mine expired in May of 2015.  I just downloaded all the latest updates.  I didn't update through the tool but used the PC Suite and one of my backup cards.  I'm pretty happy!

•   Level 1   
    (3) points
    GeorgiGalabov

2017-10-19 17:53:52 (Reply to:John Clark)

How did you do that. Mine says "Sorry, no update is available for this tool"! On the other hand on the devices tab I see that I have updates until Dec 2017
    So anyone help me get the updates too!

•   Level 4   
    (119) points
    John Clark

2017-10-26 15:01:00 (Reply to:GeorgiGalabov)

First, always use a new 16GB SD card.  If anything goes wrong you still have the old working card.  That's critical on the DS708 for several reasons.  First, is it means you have a backup working card.  Second, Autel disabled some features a couple years ago.  If you have any of those features on the old card that aren't on the new card then you'll still have those features if you simply use the old card, but you also have the new card for newer cars.

Here's what I did.  Insert a new SD card into the tool and boot it up.  It will error.  Then shut it down and remove the card.  Insert the card into your computer and run the PC DS708 Update Tool.  It should recognize it and allow you to install the device software first, and then after that's installed you can install all the vehicle makes.  Now you have a fresh new card ready to go.  Once that's done, I make a backup of that new card in case the new card crashes or gets corrupted. 

John

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    CobraVin

2017-11-06 03:39:49 (Reply to:John Clark)

Hi all, I just purchased a brand new MaxiDas ds708 because I saw that It could program and do more than it seems to be able to. I believe (after reading a lot here) this is because the newer software versions probably disabled these features.

I have a 2010 Chrsyler 300 that I can't do anything to sitting here that I would like to fix instead of towing to the dealership and pay out the nose to reprogram.

It seems I need older versions of the software. Is there anyplace (file sharing sites) that have any?

Or is anyone interested in swapping sd cards (which is not copying software it is exchanging legally owned products) Just like trading music cd's is perfectly legal versus copying them. my email is OVRBDGT@gmail.com if you are uncomfortable discussing in front of the Autel police, could really use some help, thanks.

•   Level 3   
    (85) points
    cpj14

2017-11-06 22:36:59 (Reply to:SmogTech87)

Yes the update service is open to registered owners of the DS708 scanner free of charge, I started the update and chose to use a new 32g SD card. I inserted it first on the scanner and it did not recognize it at all, so I removed it and inserted it on PC after opening and logging in to Autel update program which you can download from website if you don't have it yet.It begins by approving your request and after that it tells you to install the start program which makes the vehicles programs work. Then you can install the latest vehicle versions available.I chose 32g SD card but you can use 16g I believe and save your original 8g card that came with the scanner just in case the new versions create a problem or something. If the free updates are to continue is a good idea to get a larger capacity card I only paid $14 US dollars.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2017-11-12 19:38:28 (Reply to:cpj14)

The access to update a DS708 will no longer exist after December 31st. Be good to know from people if the older SD backup  cards still work (especially with Ford )

•   Level 3   
    (85) points
    cpj14

2017-11-14 01:10:46 (Reply to:witsend)

Good to know the end date for free updates for the DS708, how do you know this information and do you know why it will end?

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2017-11-15 16:19:41 (Reply to:cpj14)

Well awhile back support posted December 31 2017 would be it for being able to download the software.

http://pro.auteltech.com/autelsupport/FAQ/23200.jhtml?logoTypeId=1122&typeName=FAQ
  Total2 Pages